Checklist: Is your car stocked for potential road delays due to snow, ice, or flood?
Winter weather in the Sierras can be unpredictable at best. Is your car stocked for travel in potentially hazardous road conditions? Use this handy checklist to help ensure that you are safe and dry if your travels get delayed.
Winter travel supply checklist:
- Jumper cables: might want to include flares or reflective triangle
- Flashlights, with extra batteries
- First aid kit: remember any necessary medications, baby formula and diapers if you have a small child
- Food: non-perishable food such as canned food, and protein rich foods like nuts and energy bars
- Manual can opener
- Water: at least 1 gallon of water per person (yes it will freeze but can be thawed via your engine or heater)
- Basic toolkit: pliers, wrench, screwdriver
- Radio: battery or hand cranked
- Tire chains (even if you have 4 wheel drive and snow tires)
- Cat litter or sand: for better tire traction
- Ice scraper
- Clothes: warm clothes, gloves, hat, sturdy boots, jacket and an extra change of clothes for the cold
- Blankets or sleeping bags
- Charged cell phone and car charger
These tips are brought to you by Carson Valley Medical Center. Our mission is to care for your health and wellness.
Visit our blog
for more health tips, recipes, and ideas.
Back to Blog Posts